Omnichannel shopping grabbing traction among consumers
Author: Maria Alejandra Lopez
Source: Retail Customer Experience
More consumers are using an omnichannel approach when shopping, which is blurring the lines between the two experiences, according to JRNI research.
The insight, from JRNI’s third annual consumer trends report, highlights enhancements retailers may want to consider to meet omnichannel consumer expectations.
The findings include:
- On average, 74% of consumers ‘webroom’ (research online, purchase in-store) predominantly for electronics, clothing, and household items.
- On average, 57% of consumers ‘showroom’ (research in-store, purchase online) primarily for clothing, gifts, and electronics.
- On average, 54% of consumers click and collect (purchasing online, retrieving in-store) mostly for clothing, electronics, and household items.
«The majority of respondents say they will visit physical stores more often if they can access well-trained staff, spend less time standing in lines, and experience products in better ways,» stated a release on the findings.
Additional findings include:
- On average, 22% of consumers, up from 14% in 2017, rate in-store experiences as «excellent.»
- On average, 57% of consumers, up from about 50% in 2017, want to schedule appointments with expert staff.
- On average, 64% of consumers want to attend in-store events to enjoy early access to products. Additionally, 61% of consumers, on average, want to attend in-store product demonstrations, and 57% of consumers, on average, want to attend DIY workshops with experts who show customers how to use products.
«It’s clear from the research that consumers demand omnichannel experiences from their preferred retailers, and face-to-face interaction has emerged as one of those channels,» said John Federman, JRNI CEO, in the release. «When retailers use an omnichannel approach to engage consumers and drive them in-store, basket size significantly increases because customers are exposed to complementary or ancillary items. Retailers must engage customers in an omnichannel way to establish stronger relationships, greater loyalty, and more conversions.»